>>> What do you want to do with your accesspoint. You will need a bridge to a
>>> wired network if you want your ap attached to that wired network. This is
>>> quite usual though...
>>> Without a bridge to a wired network, only the wlan systems are connected
>>> and
>>> can not connect to your wired systems.
>>>

>> That's no problem, I'm OK with keeping eth1 and wlan0 separate.  Right
>> now I just want to get wlan0 working.  Do you know how to do that?  I
>> can't start net.wlan0 because it chokes on master mode, so I don't
>> know how to specify an IP for the AP or how to fill shorewall's "loc"
>> zone as that is normally filled by net.wlan0.
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> Leave INTERFACES blank. As you keep the networks seperated, hostapd does not
> depend on any other devices.
> wlan0 is initialized by hostapd. So you are good to go.
> The accesspoint itself, so to say the wlan part does not have any IP adress,
> at it is merely a connectionpoint for normal wlan systems. The IP adress to
> your device however is defined by the other nics. In your case eth1.

I don't have eth1 set up yet.  For now I just want eth0 on the WAN and
wlan0 on the LAN.  eth0 dhcp's from my ISP, but I need to specify a
local IP address for my LAN somewhere right?

> For the shorewall business, you have to tell, what you want to do with
> shorewall exactely.
> I dare say you have a wlan zone as your AP and a loc zone with eth1. As i am
> using bridging i can not tell you if and how shorewall responds.
> But if you want to keep eth1 an wlan0 seperate, what so you need shorewall
> for?

Since the AP system is also the router, I use shorewall for NAT, port
closing, port forwarding, and packet shaping.  shorewall gives an
empty loc zone error if I don't have net.wlan0 started because wlan0
is the only loc interface.

- Grant