Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
> On Friday 12 June 2009, 12:58, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>

>> The original question was "how big should /var be?" and the correct
>> answer to that question is "mu" (google it)
>>
>> If we had the output of "df -h" and "du -sh /var/*" plus a description
>> of what the machine actually does, some general advice could be given
>> to the OP. As it stands with the information given, the only useful
>> answer is "you'll have to work that out yourself" which is what I said
>> right back at the beginning.
>>

> The OP might be a newbie with little or no idea of how things work in a
> mailing list like this. Instead of the "you'll have to work that out
> yourself" answer, which is a correct answer strictly speaking, but not
> very useful to the OP, one could have asked "can you provide more
> information on this and that, so people can help you better? And please,
> in the future, remember that the more information you provide, the
> better answer you are likely to get." (which, btw, is what you did
> anyway in later replies). That would be a more useful answer imho,
> because it will educate (or try to educate) the OP a little more, which
> hopefully will result in him asking questions in a better way in the
> future.
>
> Just my 2c.

Alan's point is, there is no way for us to know that.  Example, I
sometimes use http-replicator on my machine which is placed in /var.
Therefore, that alone could need 2 to 3GBs.  If you use ccache, then add
some more.  Also, doesn't portage use /vat to compile?  If so, then that
is some more space that would be needed.  Does the person use OOo from
source or binary?   Is this a web server of some sort?  Is it going to
be used for a DVR type system?

A even better question would be this, how much space does the OP have to
begin with?  I have two 80GB drives.  The OP may have some huge 300GB
drive.

I dont' have any idea what the answer to most of those are so no one
really can answer the question yet.

Dale

:-)  :-)