On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 18:03:58 +0200
Florian Philipp <li...@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:

> Thanks for your answer but I have to say, this looks like a really
> cumbersome workaround. Wouldn't it be better to make portage and
> python-updater aware of this problem?
>
> The update from python-2.4 to 2.5 was a minor one with only a few
> incompatible packages. What shall happen when we stabilize 3.0? We'll
> run into orders of magnitude more problems than we did till now if we
> keep it as it is!
>
> Do you think I should open a bug for this?

I guess one way would be to create debian-like split between
packages for one python version and another, so we'll have
"pyxml-0.8.4-py2.4" and "pyxml-0.8.4-py2.5" and zope can request former
as a dependency, which seem to be quite an ugly solution.

Installing every package for each compatible python on system if some
use-flag like "multislot" is enabled (it might also be impossible for
some pkgs, which also sit in share/bin/lib) look better and somewhat
easier - just a eselech switch flip and +x (un)installs.

I wonder, what do you have in mind?

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net