On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 6:04 AM, Neil Bothwick<n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 14:00:55 +0100, Mick wrote:
>
>> Isn't it correct to say that you just need to emerge x11-base/xorg-x11,
>> which will pull in x11-base/xorg-server by default (unless you have
>> some fancy USE flags setup).
>
> It will also pull in a shedload of dependencies, being a meta
> package,something that is not likely to appeal to the typical
> Fluxbox user.
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick

Exactly. My use of fluxbox on this machine was to test that X is even
working over S-Video. (It is.) My goal after that was to emerge MythTV
again and try running that. That causes X to crash for MTRR problems
so that would be today's goal. This didn't used to happen with my old
kernel and the fglrx driver so probably I haven't configured the
kernel correctly?

With xorg-server & fluxbox emerged I only needed about 20 packages to
get Myth installed so I agree that xorg-x11 pulls in a bunch of stuff
I probably don't need.

I would have emerged xorg-x11 if I hadn't been reading through the
xorg config guide once again and seen that this was an option. I'm not
sure the other stuff is big, but it's a lot of packages.

- Mark