>>> I need to optimize web browsing for a slow cell phone data
>>> connection.
>>> I'd like to browse faster and use less data ($).  I've installed
>>> ImgLikeOpera for Firefox which is great at selectively blocking
>>> images, and I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do?
>>>
>>> - Grant
>>
>> Can anyone offer advice for IMAP?  I'm using Thunderbird and it's slow
>> and data-heavy.
>
> I believe that the nature of IMAP is to be fairly network intensive.
>
> When I use my laptop for mail, it usually takes some time to sync
> messages that have appeared in the last couple of days since I last
> did so (on my laptop). Typically contents of the inbox appear within a
> minute or two, but I would guess that clicking on any of my mailing
> list folders may cause a delay of several minutes.
>
> It's not the raw number of minutes that's the problem, but how the
> mail client just tends to feel sluggish unless you leave it alone for
> a few minutes to sync up with the IMAP server. One _knows_ there are
> new messages there, one knows that there should be messages in the
> gentoo-users folder newer than 4 days old, but they don't appear when
> you click on it.
>
> In my case I'm always on broadband when I use my laptop away from
> home, my mailserver is at my house, and the bandwidth bottleneck is
> the upstream of my home ADSL line at 288k. I would dread to think what
> it would be like at dial-up speeds (i.e. slow cell phone data
> connection), although to be fair my mobile does ok syncing inboxes
> only. The solution with that, too, is to leave the phone alone,
> downloading for some minutes, and then come back to it when it's
> finished.
>
> I use Mail.app on a Mac as my mail client, but I can't imagine
> Thunderbird to be much worse.
>
> Stroller.

OK, no compression options or anything?

By the way, if anyone finds themself in Tanzania and in need of a
prepaid cell data line, I found the ultimate:

http://www.vodacom.co.tz/docs/docredir.asp?docid=3530

Good speed too.  Tigo is almost as cheap but incredibly slow.
Zain/Celtel is as fast, but at nearly 5 times the price of the 250MB
Vodacom bundle.  The only option I didn't try was Zanzibar Telecom.

- Grant