Robin Atwood writes:

> No I did not have my money in a dodgy bank but I can no longer play Sigur
> Ros albums. When the CD is ripped onto the HD the file names contain
> accented characters and Amarok 2 says the directory/file does not exist.
> Formerly this was possible, so I am guessing converting to KDE4 may have
> been the culprit. My locale is set up thus:
>
> $ locale
> LANG=en_GB.utf8
> LC_CTYPE="en_GB.utf8"
> etc...
>
> Dolphin shows file names like: Sigur Ros - 07 - Vi�rar Vel Til
> Loft�r�sa.mp3 When I use a browser I can see the special characters and
> can copy them to this mail: Ágætis byrjun. I added "is" and some other
> things to LINGUAS and re-installed kde-l10n but no accents. What is the
> trick with this?

I had a similar problem lately, after I switched to UTF8. Dolphin and some
other applications were unable to deal with these files. i was advised here
to emerge convmv and use this utility to convert the filenames to UTF8.
Maybe something like 'convmv -f latin1 -t utf-8 Sigur\ Ros\ -\ 07<tab>'
works for you, too. In order to actually do the conversion, add the --notest
option. convmv also supports recursive conversion of whole directory trees.

        Wonko