On 28 Jul 2009, at 18:52, Grant wrote:
Is cost-savings the advantage of using CF instead of SSD?  It sounds
like it might be wiser to spend a little more (low capacity SSD drives
are pretty cheap now) and have a real storage device that doesn't need
an adapter and is much faster, can swap, etc.

I assumed that you're looking at £100 or more for an SSD, as opposed to < £10 for a CF card. I didn't check those prices, however.

Are SSDs really *that* much better than CF cards in terms of write cycles? (i.e. swap)
How much swap are you actually using?

If the box is just a NAS, then I can't see the speed of the system drive is an issue *at all*.

Stroller.

EDIT: I just checked & a 32gig SATA SSD is £75 including VAT here. The headline price is £66, and if it wasn't for the sales tax I'd just about consider that much for the convenience. An 8gig CF card is £8, and that's perfectly ample space for a headless server. FWIW I went for hardware RAID - secondhand 3ware 9500S - & conventional SATA hard- drives.