IPCHAINS did the firewall job for me.  Early versions of IPTABLES were
OK too.  But it eventually developed the Mozilla disease, and became a
honking big routing/gatewaying/QOSing/singing/dancing monstrosity, of
which I required only a small fraction of its "functionality".  And I'm
really confused as to which parts in netfilter/xtables/iptables I need
to build into the kernel.

  I need a firewall (or even just a packet-filter) that will operate
with current Gentoo kernels, nothing more.  I see a build for IPCHAINS.
Does it work with 2.6.29 and higher kernels?  Are there other
alternatives in alternate overlays?  I'm not a programmer, but I can
expand a tarball and...

./configure --with-various-options && make && make install

...if necessary.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>