On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 18:11:36 -0400
"Walter Dnes" <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:

>   IPCHAINS did the firewall job for me.  Early versions of IPTABLES
> were OK too.  But it eventually developed the Mozilla disease, and
> became a honking big routing/gatewaying/QOSing/singing/dancing
> monstrosity, of which I required only a small fraction of its
> "functionality".  And I'm really confused as to which parts in
> netfilter/xtables/iptables I need to build into the kernel.

Hey,

I too am a minimalist but I think you've got iptables misidentified.
It has lots of features; that's not the same as saying it's bloated.
More like the linux kernel (and in fact it _is_, as others have said,
the linux kernel) - it supports a lot of different functionality.  If
you don't want a particular capability, disable it in the kernel.

If you want a quick firewall setup, use
http://spore.ath.cx/~dan/doc/home-firewall.html.  It's what I use and my
step by step guide should save you a bit of effort.