On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 20:51 -0500, Neal Hogan wrote:
> <I posted this to getoo-media@ mut the list looks to be . . . "not-active.">
>
> I'm new to gentoo and the main reason for coming to gentoo is that I
> have an extra machine that I'd like to use as a DVR. Thus, I've
> installed mythtv.
>
> In general, the experience has been pleasant. However, I wonder about
> two things regarding emerge and mythtv's dependencies. The first is
> that mythtv failed to fully compile the first time because unzip was
> not installed. Next, is once mythtv finished compiling I tried to fire
> it up (mythtv-setup) and it was apparent that X was not installed.
>
> These are not major "problems," since gentoo seems to be a friendly
> distro (so far) and emerging unzip and X went/is going just fine. I
> just found it odd that the mythtv package didn't "make sure" unzip and
> X were present before it was installed.
>
> Thoughts?

"X" is too generic of a term but I'll assume you mean "X server"...

Firstly, you don't need an X server to run MythTV... some people
actually have the backend running headless.  Second, you don't need an X
server locally to run X apps (for example I used to XDMCP into a
headless virtual machine running test instances of KDE.  "ssh -X xapp"
is another example).

As for unzip, that sounds like a possible bug.  I know I ran into that
problem with another package => bugs.gentoo.org.

-a