Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 9:04 AM, Neil Bothwick<n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 08:59:57 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>

>>>    Not meaning to cause too much of a hubbub but I was surprised at
>>> how much email traffic has fallen off for the Gentoo lists over the
>>> last couple of years. I suspect that some of this is folks moving to
>>> less technical environments - maybe Ubuntu or Arch - but still I was
>>> surprised that it was something like a 60% drop since the high in
>>> 2006.
>>>
>> It could be a sign of the maturity of Gentoo. If there are less problems
>> there will be less posts, since there are very few threads starting with
>> "I did a world update today and everything worked perfectly".
>>

> Well, mostly I'd say that's true, certainly at the app level it's my
> experience, but it seems to me that upgrades like Xorg haven't gone so
> well this year. Maybe that's mostly an aberration driven by upstream
> quality problems, but if my recollections are correct it wasn't only a
> problem for me.
>

> <SNIP>
>
> Thanks for the responses!
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Yea, there are quite a few that disabled hal, myself included.  I
disabled mine with the USE flag but some put the line in xorg.conf to
disable it.  Either way, I still can't get hal to work with the new
xorg-server.

I think that has been my only really sore spot.  I did have a issue with
a gcc update.  Couldn't compile a kernel, Seamonkey crashes like bumper
cars and a few other weird things.  I just backed up to the previous
version and all is well again.

I do think Gentoo is a lot better tho.  The way it handles most blocks
is really really cool.

Dale

:-)  :-)