On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 13:39:11 +0100, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> 2009/9/10 Jesús Guerrero <i92gu...@terra.es>:
>> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 10:17:28 +0100, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Adam, I don't have WINE on this old machine, or the space for
>>> it.  Even if I did - how do I find the files (don't know what their
>>> names are).  Is it a matter of running the .exe so that it installs
>>> and assuming that it does not fail then diff-ing the fs before and
>>> after, or ls -l -a -t to find the latest files which were modified?
>>
>> Well, the installer itself needs to be decompressed to run. Most
windows
>> installers install the intermediate files in c:\windows\temp (which
>> usually would be ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/temp. Some others create a
>> temporal dir under c:\ (~/.wine/drive_c). It's a matter of firing
>> up the installer and go looking around there with each step until
>> you can find them.
>>

>> By the way, I've tried decompressing the file with 7z and it indeed
>> extracts 6 files, however I have no idea what they contain.
>
> Hmm ... p7zip does not seem to like it over here - is it different to
7z?

> $ p7zip -d wg511v2_3_2.exe
> /usr/bin/p7zip: wg511v2_3_2.exe: unknown suffix -- ignored

I've used the 7z binary that comes shipped with p7zip-4.65 in Gentoo.
The command I used was

  $ 7z x wg511v2_3_2.exe

  7-Zip 4.65  Copyright (c) 1999-2009 Igor Pavlov  2009-02-03
  p7zip Version 4.65 (locale=es_ES.utf8,Utf16=on,HugeFiles=on,1 CPU)

  Processing archive: wg511v2_3_2.exe

  Extracting  .text
  Extracting  .rdata
  Extracting  .data
  Extracting  .rsrc
  Extracting  CERTIFICATE
  Extracting  [data-1]

  Everything is Ok

  Files: 6
  Size:       18794632
  Compressed: 18798728

I reviewed the ebuild, just in case, and it doesn't apply any strange
patch so it must be a standard feature. I haven't much experience with
p7zip itself, but it doesn't seem to be quite the same than 7z. 7z serves
as a frontend for many compression algorithms. It can surely open most
compressed formats around.

--
Jesús Guerrero