On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 12:14 AM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 September 2009, Paul Hartman wrote:
>> I am on Windows XP right now (at work), I have unpacked the contents
>> and can email them to the OP or upload somewhere if you'd like. Let me
>> know.
>
> Thanks Paul!  How do you unpack the contents in WinXP?  If you run the .exe it
> just installs it/them all over the fs, right?

Well, the "easy" way is to run the installer, then while it is open
(waiting for you to click "Next" like all windows installers do)
browse to "c:\Windows\Downloaded Installations\".  The folder names
will just be GUIDs so I will sort by date and fine the most recent
one.  Alternatively you can get InstallShield developer tools which
can often unpack the files. Check out
http://www.lifeasbob.com/2009/07/21/OpenAnInstallshieldCabFile.aspx
for an example (no idea if it works in WINE though).

In the case of your file, that folder contained 3 extracted files, the
most interesting of which was this 10 meg file: "NETGEAR WG511v2
wireless PC card.msi" which is a Windows Installer file.

>From there I was able to open the MSI file with 7-Zip, and saw that
the MSI contained a 4-megabyte CAB file. Again used 7-zip to extract
and then open the CAB file and re-zip its contents to a standard ZIP
file for you.

So, in summary, the 4 megabytes of actual files were wrapped in a
Windows Installer wrapped in an InstallShield which inflated the size
from 4mb to 18mb. That's windows drivers for you. :)