Mark Knecht writes:

> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 18:39:45 +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:
> >> Others allow to kill processes, sync the filesystem, and such. The
> >> combination Alt-SysRq-R-E-I-S-U-B reboots a hanging PC without file
> >> system corruption.
> >
> > Usually! Sometimes a system can be locked up to badly that there's not
> > enough resources left to sync the filesystems. Most of the time though
> > Alt-SysRq-Reboot-Even-If-System-Utterly-Broken works.

Right, I was a little too enthusiastic here.

> I've seen you guys talk about this and I've never had to use it.

Oh. I used it very often.

> I'm curious about the actual key strokes. Is it
>
> Alt-SysRq and then REISUB
>
> or
>
> Alt-SysRq followed by Atl-R, Atl-E, etc.. ?

It's Alt-SysRq-R, Alt-SysRq-E, and so on. With little pauses between, to
give the action some time to work. Like, wait a little with the U (Unmount)
after the S (Sync). Or after the E (kill all processes) in order to give the
processes some time to save data, so the I (kill -9 all processes) does not
interrupt this.

        Wonko