>> > It must be a year or so now with all different kernels.  On boot up kdm
>> > fires
>> > up, but within 5 seconds or so and while the use is busy entering their
>> > passwd on the kdm screen, it suddenly returns to the console.  Alt+F7
>> > brings them back to their kdm, but this behaviour is clearly wrong.  I
>> > suspect that this is caused by dhcpcd getting an IP address, or vixie
>> > cron (the last two things shown on the console when the user gets dumped
>> > back on it) but I can't
>> > understand why these two services will cause such a problem on this
>> > machine, when other machines with the same services work fine.

If it's an IP address problem (where your hostname is getting changed
by dhcp), here's my logfile for a similar problem:

d...@flux ~/log $ more hostname.txt
Network Manager (at least up to 0.6.6) changes my hostname to dhcp#### and
garbage.  it's annoying and not right.

The following seems to work.

d...@flux /etc/dhcp $ more dhclient.conf
send host-name "flux";
supersede host-name "flux";

For some reason I had to reinstall kwifimanager, but maybe that's unrelated (I
think it's unrelated).

Otherwise, I'm not sure.  I also had trouble with kdm/xdm the first
time around, but if I look over the log file for my successful
install, there were no tricks involved.

Regards,
daid