---- Original Message -----
  From: Kevin O'Gorman
  To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
  Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2009 3:42 PM
  Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Desperately seeking modelines; xorg
1.6.3.901-r2bleeds off the edges

  On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com>
wrote:

    <alan.mckin...@gmail.com>wrote:
    > > On Saturday 17 October 2009 20:58:00 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
    > > > Modifying the monitor section made no noticeable change.  There's
still
    > > > a 24-pixel bleed off the right edge to begin with.  I can fool with
    > >
    > > settings
    > >
    > > > to make it bleed left instead, but there's no setting that affects
    > > > pixel spacing.  I like the cleaner monitor section, though.
    > > >
    > > > I'm back to thinking about modelines.  Any better ideas?
    > >
    > > I'd try adjust the frequencies first, then try modelines.
    > >
    > > --
    > > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
    > >
    > > I'd try that too if I had a clue how to do it, let alone do it safely.
    > > Got
    >
    > any pointers to FMs?

    Safe frequency ranges are in the monitor's documentation. Do you have docs
for
    your monitor (I'm using it's a CRT).

    You can safely reduce either horiz or vert range. As the electronics[1] age,
    the monitor's ability to correctly sync the start of the picture with the
    start of the display area deteriorates, especially at the upper bound. If
    reducing the upper bound of the horiz setting improves matters, that is
    indicative of this happening.

    [1] more specifically, electrolytic capacitors. They are temperature-
    sensitive. Silicon does not "wear out" as such.

    --

    alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

  I have docs.  They are not very informative.

  When I start it up, the left edge is fine, which is the sync edge.  Because
of that and because I can adjust positioning left and right, and because the
problem arose abruptly with the reboot to a new Xorg, I rate the probability of
hardware problems low (but not zero of course).

  It appears to be a problem of horizontal spacing of the pixels.  At it stands
there is not room for the last 24.

  --
  Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

18:39:00

  What type of monitor do you have?

  How old is it?

  What is the screen size?

  What exactly do you mean by bleeding edges? Does the gui scroll when you move
you mouse towards the edges? is that what you mean by bleeding?

  Another thing; Do you have the monitor manual? It will tell you the proper H
and V sync rates at certain resolutions.

  Are you sure it supports that resolution?