On 22 Oct 2009, at 19:50, Alan McKinnon wrote:
On Thursday 22 October 2009 20:17:46 Maxim Wexler wrote:
Why not copy over the .29 config and run make oldconfig?

I thought of that, but isn't there too much difference in the
versions? I read somewhere that taking to big a leap between versions
is unsafe. Not to mention the great whack of new options. If you do a
diff -y between the two configs there are lots of gaps.

That's version jumps like 2.4 to 2.6

The 2.6 development model is small incremental steps, so the odds are always in your favour that it will work just fine. Occasionally you might find two versions that don't like to play nicely with oldconfig but that isn't the
norm.

FWIW, I haven't encountered a single problem with the entire 2.6 range.

There was a change between 2.6.x and 2.6.x+1 where the whole .config was rearranged and `make oldconfig` no longer worked. It was a while ago, so maybe you don't recall it. I think x was circa 22 or so. It was discussed on here at the time, IIRC, and caused filesystems such as ext2 (at least) to be unselected if you just ran `make oldconfig`.

Stroller.