Hi there,

I have just found a process called "pegasus" running on my machine. Does anyone know what it is, please?

# ps -e | grep peg
  816 ?        00:00:00 pegasus
#

A Google suggested I might be able to find it's path thusly:
# ps -e -o pid,args | grep peg
  816 [pegasus]
13927 grep --colour=auto peg
#

But as you  can see, no joy. What do the [square brackets] mean, please?

`locate pegasus` only finds source files to a kernel driver - they appear to relate to a USB network adaptor, as they're in /usr/ src/...drivers/net/usb/ however I can't say I've used one of those on this system since it was last rebooted 2 weeks ago. I don't believe this driver is loaded:
# lsmod | wc -l
49
# lsmod | grep peg
#

Obviously one is slightly paranoid when one encounters an unknown process running on one's system, with the thought that one has been hacked. I'm sure this isn't the case, but if someone could tell me what this is it would reassure me and I would be grateful.

TIA,

Stroller.