On 8 Nov 2009, at 00:10, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
using a livecds kernel is probably the worst decision out there.

http://www.kroah.com/lkn/

as you can see, you don't have to download it.

Or just do it step for step, reading help files.

seccomp? Except Andrea Arcangeli nobody uses it. Can be deactivated. I2O? Almost nobody uses it. Especially not 'commodity' hardware, out it goes. Numa? Do you have a multi-socket system? No? Then you don't need it. ... you can remove a lot of cruft that way. Namespaces - you don't need it? Kick 'em out.
Group scheduling? Sure, a great way to reduce performance...

But Volker, if it takes me an hour to decrapify my kernel config and make it faster, it will probably take 1000 years for those speed improvements to pay off.

If I had unlimited time then I would love to read that book. I really LIKE the idea of decrapifying my kernel config. But realistically, any time I spend on it is time wasted, for which no difference will be appreciable.

Stroller.