091106 Florian Philipp wrote:
> Philip Webb schrieb:
>> Can anyone who uses one of these machine advise me
>> how far the usual services are relevant for a netbook ?
>> --  hald (+dbus)  vixie-cron  slocate  run on my desktop machine,
>> but don't seem necessary for a netbook which I wb using only occasionally;
>> I have installed  sysklogd , which seems useful in case of problems.
>> Also, what do people use to monitor the battery ?
>> And what's best for the webcam ?
> Better replace vixie-cron with fcron.  fcron is more suitable for PCs
> that don't run 24/7.  Alternatively use anacron with vixie-cron.

I'll look into them.

> I'd trash slocate completely.  Especially when your toy has a cheap SSD.

No, 'H' stands for 'hard drive', as in a  160 GB  HDD.

> If not, it all depends on whether you use locate regularly.
> If not, trash it.  If you use it, replace it with mlocate
> which should be a bit faster on updating its DB.

I'll look into these.

> I wouldn't run any kind of syslog unless you are currently debugging
> your system. It will only spin up the disk/wear out the SSD.

It's not an SSD.  I've been using the X log to get X working.

> Have a look at app-laptop/laptop-mode-tools
> and sys-power/powertop if you haven't already.

No, I haven't, but will.

> hald might be useful/necessary for plug'n'play.
> It might also help with external displays.
> dbus will most certainly be used by some desktop application/environment.

Both are required for X , which I found out after sending in my msg.

> Hope this helps

Yes, it's very useful: thanks as usual.

BTW I'm surprised how fast the little machine is compiling stuff:
it's faster than my 2003 machine & approaches my 2007 Core 2 Duo.

Also, there's a reference in a Gentoo Wiki article to hyperthreading,
which advises to configure multiple processing into the kernel.
Is this correct ?  Is it safe ?

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca