On 8 Nov 2009, at 22:20, Dale wrote:
You seem to think it takes a rocket scientist to build a kernel, it
doesn't.  You just have to know what hardware you have and then enable
the features you need.  ... You can config a kernel in less than five
minutes most likely then compile and you are done.

Thus we get 30-post long threads titled "kernel build - back in the soup".

Sure, I might on this occasion prefer that this pegasus driver wasn't compiled statically into the kernel, but only because it _confused_ me (nothing more). Far more frequently I want to install Linux on a new box or plug in a new piece of hardware and not have to worry about what driver it uses - I just want the module to be there and to auto- load.

Any time I spend messing with obscure kernel config options is time I could be spending reading a good book, instead [1].
Sorry, spending time configuring my kernel loses, as does this thread.

Stroller.

[1] Feel free to spend with your kids, lying on a beach, skiing, or whatever, as alternatives.