On Montag 09 November 2009, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Stroller <strol...@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:
> > Any time I spend messing with obscure kernel config options is time I
> > could be spending reading a good book, instead [1].
> > Sorry, spending time configuring my kernel loses, as does this thread.
>
> I'm with you Stroller.
>
> Although I do  have to admit and should admit since I'm OP on this
> thread.  If I had of inserted the .config from running kernel.  I
> would have been done on the first try.. The dozen or so questions were
> nearly all no answers.  A few didn't default the way I wanted so I didn't
> accept the default... maybe two were like that.
>
> I fully agree with your point about what it really takes to `know' how
> to configure a kernel.  People get a little too much mileage from the
> breezy ` I do it in 5 minutes' line.  When all they really did was
> move the .config file.

configuring is easy.

enable the hardware you have.
disable the hardware you don't have.
read the help to all options that are default on - do you really need it?
Really?
read the help to all options that are off but might be usefull for you.
change when you know it better (ondemand in, userspace governor out,
performance default governor for example).

do it a few times, kernel configuring becomes very easy.