On Thursday 12 November 2009 14:52:14 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> >> then unmerge all of kde-3.5, verify with depclean, then delete the
> >> overlay
> >
> > I thought they changed all that? I have /usr/kde/3.5 but nothing for KDE
> > 4. Equery shows this:
>
>  > r...@smoker ~ # equery files kde-base/kdelibs-4.3.3
>
> Alan spoke about the configs and app data in ~. kdelibs naturally installs
>  into  the system, not home. And if you don't enable the prefix useflag in
>  the older version (I believe they removed it a while ago anyway), then it
>  installs HFS compliantly into /usr instead of /usr/kde/$version.

Correct.

KDE-3.5 installs into /usr/kde3.5/
KDE-4 installs into /usr/

with kdeprefix, KDE-4 *used* to install into /usr/kde4.1, /usr/kde4.2, etc but
this was a bad idea when it started and never got any better so it was canned.
Full gory details in the KDE4 docs on gentoo.org.

Short version: Do not use kdeprefix. Ever.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com