On Sunday 22 November 2009 12:47:57 Dale wrote:
> Mick wrote:

> >> If you have Firefox installed, you can use 'download helper' to grab
> >> those videos really easy.  It works on youtube and other sites really
> >> well.
> >
> > Thanks Dale, but I have no problem with flash embedded videos - they
> > don't use the gnome-mplayer.

I think this is a mistake on my part:  gnome-mplayer seems to be a dependency
of gecko-mediaplayer.

> There may be a misunderstanding on this.  With the download helper, you
> go to a site that has a video you want, instead of copying it from /tmp
> or where ever it is stored, you click on a button and save it where ever
> you want to save it.  If you don't like the file format that it is in,
> it will convert it for you too.

Sure, but from what I figured this FF addon is only good for Flash embedded
videos.  I assume (because I can't download it right now) that it won't work
with e.g.:

http://www.amd.com/us-
en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/T64X2_animation.wmv

> Just as a example, I go to youtube and find a neat Jeff Dunham video.

YouTube and the likes use Adobe Flash to stream content.

> The misunderstanding may be on my part.  Maybe I don't quite get what
> you are doing.

I don't really like the gnome-mplayer interface which is used by the gecko-
mediaplayer plugin.  I was looking for alternative plugins, but I suspect that
there aren't any.

Anyway, not a major issue.
--
Regards,