091202 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 12/02/2009 12:51 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>> On Tuesday 01 December 2009 18:02:48 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>>> Everyone should read the following and follow the advice given:
>>> http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2009/12/01/gentoo-service-announcement-keep-clear-of-gnu-patch-2-6
>> I emerged patch-2.60 when it hit ~amd64 then downgraded it 10 days later
>> when a report on b.g.o. showed it was affecting OOo.
>> Right in the middle of those 10 days, I ran 'emerge -e world'
>> </sigh>
> Yep, this bug was a major annoyance for me too.
> I emerged patch-2.6 on November 15
> and since then, being on ~amd64, a *lot* of other packages.
> After downgrading, I needed to rebuild about 300 packages,
> including all of KDE4, Qt, Firefox and OpenOffice.
> Quite amazing how much damage a bug in a small package like this can have
> on a source-based distro...

 2  pieces of advice to avoid such problems:
(1) never use the 'testing' versions of system pkgs;
(2) never run 'emerge world' without the '-p' flag.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca