David Relson wrote:
On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 22:21:18 -0600
Dale wrote:

Peter Humphrey wrote:
On Wednesday 02 December 2009 01:25:16 David Relson wrote:

For grins, whenever I restart my computer I run hwinfo, lshw,
lspci, and a variety of other utilities and save the results.
Good God. I hope you don't do that more than once a decade. Just
how long can a life be?

Unless he changes hardware while it is shutdown. I don't think the drivers have ever changed on my system since I built it. I have had
to add a couple, ethernet card and a SATA card, but other than that,
it should be the same.

I have to say tho, booting a CD and doing lspci -k or -v is the best
way to get the right drivers.  That is providing the hardware works
when that is done.

Dale

Changing kernels can have undesired side effects.  The log files help
to figure out what went wrong.

That's odd. I update my kernel fairly regular. It's always the same drivers for the same old hardware. I don't think the drivers has changed for my hardware since I built this system. My ethernet card used dmfe way back when I bought them and after many many kernel upgrades, it still uses dmfe. Same for the other hardware.

I guess your mileage varies a lot.

Dale

:-) :-)