My problem is exactly as others described: Usually, mpd is running and
playing my favorite tunes. Then, all of the sudden, I decide that I
would like watch some youtube movie, or something, so I stop mpd,
watch the movie, but when I want to play my music again mpd complains
that the audio device is busy. The only thing that works is to close
my browser AND all applications that were started from it (even if
they don't use the soundcard at all), which is an annoyance that I
didn't had to deal with when using different hardware or older version
of alsa. I've tried all the simple solutions I could find, like adding
alsasound rc, passing the model=dell-m4 to modprobe, and even messing
with asound.conf which only ended up in less usable soundcard. I've
noticed that applications access the /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p directly, and I
guess they should access some virtual device that will enable the
mixing or muxing of audio streams. I couldn't set such device, though.