daid kahl wrote:
I ran into a similar problem a good while back where only one sound would
play at a time, it was annoying as heck.  If I changed desktops, was playing
a CD or even just left a tab open with some sound thingy playing, I couldn't
hear anything else.  I couldn't hear Kopete if someone was trying to get me
on messenger, couldn't hear the little bell when I got a new email or
anything.

Oddly, since I updated my kernel the last few weeks, youtube and
flash-like things are whiny.  At worst I have to restart firefox
and/or alsa.  I'm pretty sure it's a simple fix, but, it's slightly
irritating.

I can't remember what I did to fix mine but that was the only time I can recall having sound trouble, other than having to unmute the sound the first time. I'm using 2.6.30-gentoo-r6 right now and I have no sound issues. I don't use modules tho. Everything is built into my kernel except for the nvidia drivers.
To say that a person only needs to hear one sound at a time is like telling
someone to close one eye.

Hey man, you're display's only 2D.  What do you need that second eye for anyway?

Regards,
daid

I say that because I have a bad eye. I wish I could see good with both because things sure do look different. I can't just distance for example. When the kids want to play baseball, I see the ball but it looks the same at a distance as it does just before it hits me in the forehead. Well, it is a little bigger at that point. O_o

Dale

:-) :-)