On 5/12/2009, "Philip Webb" <purs...@ca.inter.net> wrote:

>Anyway, don't do testing on the machine you use for everyday computing.
>If you want to get into testing, use a dedicated machine for it.

I've been using a separate partition on an existing machine to run a
~amd64 system for evaluation, and yesterday I got my comeuppance. I
wanted to go back to an earlier backup of the test system*, so I took a
backup of my home directory with its e-mail history, wiped the partition
and restored the old backup followed by the home directory. Wrong. I'd
mixed the home directories of the two systems and so I lost the last
five weeks' worth of e-mails.

And no, I hadn't been drinking or getting over-tired. Just goes to show
- you can't be too careful.

* The current test system had a series of KDE-4 problems, which I thought
must have been caused by the patch bug, but simply remerging everything
installed since then hadn't fixed them.