On Thursday 10 December 2009 14:23:13 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 10:36:41 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > The machine I was installing on was a laptop with no available desk top
> > to place it on.  Therefore I decided to get SSH up and running as early
> > as possible so as to do the bulk of the installation from my nice comfy
> > desktop, monitor and keyboard.  Starting sshd from inside the chrooted
> > system was obviously the Right Thing.
>
> Surely starting sshd from the live environment is The Right Thing if you
> want to get SSH running as soon as possible? That's how I've always done
> it.

Last time I read the docs (and that was some years ago) you would also launch
screen, then detach/reattach the session after you ssh'ed into your LiveCD
env.  In that sense rebooting the LiveCD is not something you would do more
than once - unless there was something wrong with kernel you just rolled up.
Hold on, I found it:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-tipsntricks.xml#leave_terminal

However, I find what Alan Mackenzie says fairly sensible and something which
is a rather simple amendment for the gentoo handbook.  The suggested change
should not (I think) cause any side effects on a conventional install, so it
should be accepted.

Just my 2c's.
--
Regards,