On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:25:46 +0200
Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure why you have a problem. A quick search on my box shows
> that most libs (of the small number I checked) have .a and .so

Most libs, but not all. glibc is one of them.

Anyway, I've added "--enable-static" to EXTRA_ECONF and it worked.
There are some packages that don't like it. In particular, sandbox
aborts in the configure phase with the message

  "configure: error: dont be a Kumba, building a libsandbox.a is stupid"

:-)

I had to put an exception into /etc/portage/bashrc in order to handle
that.

Cheers,
Renat

--
Probleme kann man niemals mit derselben Denkweise loesen,
durch die sie entstanden sind.