On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 12:55:23 +0000, bn wrote:

> ...I would like to update the thing piece-by-piece, to troubleshoot
> better whatever happens.
Start with a system update, then emerge --oneshot individual,
non-QT, packages to reduce the number of packages in the big emerge.

> > If not, you can either
> > unmask portage, emerge portage and try again, or if you don't like
> > that approach, you must do it the older, longer way:
>
> I could do it, if I have some safety option that allows me to downgrade
> portage later, in case I find problems. I am quite conservative with
> this system (it's a machine I use for day-to-day work) and I wouldn't
> like to have it borked.

Install and run demerge, then quickpkg your existing installed packages.
Demerge lets you roll back to any point at which you saved its config.

--
Neil Bothwick

... "I dropped my toothpaste," Tom said, Crestfallen.