On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 00:09:48 +0200 Alan McKinnon
<alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 10 January 2010 23:40:57 Stroller wrote:
> > This was my reaction, too, but c'mon, Linux's sleep functionality
> > must have a rewake feature, mustn't it?
>
> I dunno. Think about this - in suspend, nothing is working and no
> user-code is running. The only power consumed is what is needed to
> refresh RAM. That must be there otherwise the content goes away if
> you try and resume.
>
> So what part of the machine is powered to be able to wake it up? PCs
> don't have alarm clocks, the on-board clock can't usually do it, so
> the only option is for some code to be running, polling the time and
> cause the system to wake up. Which is exactly what suspend does not
> do.

Windows can do that and BIOS has such settings too. Those are
power management settings like "suspend to RAM after X minutes",
"hibernate after Y minutes". In order to hibernate it has to wake up
first, so there must be some place where a timer is set.

And I have seen it done on Linux. I just never tried it myself.

Cheers,
Renat

--
Probleme kann man niemals mit derselben Denkweise loesen,
durch die sie entstanden sind.