On 10 Jan 2010, at 22:09, Alan McKinnon wrote:
This was my reaction, too, but c'mon, Linux's sleep functionality must
have a rewake feature, mustn't it?

I dunno. Think about this - in suspend, nothing is working and no user-code is running. The only power consumed is what is needed to refresh RAM. That must
be there otherwise the content goes away if you try and resume.

So what part of the machine is powered to be able to wake it up? PCs don't have alarm clocks, the on-board clock can't usually do it, so the only option is for some code to be running, polling the time and cause the system to wake
up. Which is exactly what suspend does not do.

PCs have a BIOS feature that allows them to be woken at a specific time. I think you can use Linux to set that time, then hibernate; I'm not sure about sleep. It's certainly common amongst MythTV users to set their machines to go into a low-power mode and then wake them in time to record a TV show, but I don't know the mechanics.

Other posts may be more informative.

Stroller.