On Monday 18 January 2010 15:09:39 James wrote:
> Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > I suspect that you probably have fallen victim to the great conspiracy of
> > baselayout doing away with rc.conf and not screaming it LOUD ENOUGH to
> > make sure that we set up the XSESSION variable so that the appropriate
> > windows manager/DE is selected.  See more here:
> >
> > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/224058
>
> I read that thread, so I created the file
> /etc/env.d/90xsession with the contents XSESSION="kdm"
> (permissions 644)
>
> rebooting the Display Manager starts up, but when I log
> in looks like the passwd is accepted (still works via ssh)
> but the Display Manager Login Screen just returns....?

OK, now you don't get the TWM window manager, but your KDE fails to start. :-(

> cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[snip ...]

> 9: /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf4) [0x7f395dfa5a44]
> 10: /usr/bin/X [0x430639]
>
> Fatal server error:
> Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

Stating the obvious, this is not right.  Now it's not that /etc/init.d/xdm
cannot find your Window Manager/DE, but something is wrong with X's
configuration and it crashes.

> Like I stated early, xorg.conf is empty, so maybe I need
> some minial entries in the /etc/X/xorg.conf file?

It might be that with your video card you *must* have an xorg.conf, although I
think that most cards will run with a basic /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-x11-
input.fdi

I have not seen the errors you are getting in your log before, but I noticed
libc.so.6 - have you run revdep-rebuild -p -i or revdep-rebuild -p -i --
library libc.so.6 just in case?
--
Regards,
Mick