On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 04:34:56PM -0800, walt wrote:
> After thinking awhile I realized that pam can be used to
> combine muliple forms of authentication to reduce the well
> documented risk of single-factor authentication (like our
> traditional password system).
>
> Example:  if I have an ordinary password, plus an ssh key
> stored on a USB stick, plus a biometric device like an
> eye scanner or a fingerprint scanner, I can then use any
> or all of those methods to identify myself to the system
> by configuring pam in the appropriate way.

Yes.

First look at the PAM configuration section of this:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_enable_the_fingerprint_reader#Login_via_pam_bioapi

Now if instead of having

auth sufficient pam_unix.so ...
auth sufficient pam_bioapi.so ...

which says that either password log-in OR fingerprint scanner is
enough, you change the first line to "auth required ...", per the docs

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/sag-configuration-file.html

you will then have a behaviour where BOTH password and fingerprint is
involved. I think PAM is a Pretty Good Idea and its implementation is
Very Cool, but I also think it is completely unnecessary on _my_
laptop.

Cheers,

Willie W. Wong                                     ww...@math.princeton.edu
         et vice versa   ~~~  I. Newton