On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 12 February 2010 00:13:23 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>> > One thing I haven't found so far is what to put in make.conf to get
>> > the buildpkg feature to include the configs. It's easy at the command
>> > line. Where's the documentation on how to actually use this the right
>> > way automatically?
>> >

>> > - Mark
>>
>> when you use buildpkg feature the packages contain the virgin unedited
>> configs  as they are installed by the package and not any edits done by
>> you.
>
> Just checking something:
>
> We are all aware of the difference between
>
> emerge --buildpkg
>
> and
>
> quickpkg
>
> right/
>
> --
> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Volker is. I am not sure I am and I'm not sure that Neil was talking
about quickpkg which is what I am using so far. The command

quickpkg --include-configs

says it includes the configs. That's what I thought we (you and I
Alan) were talking about.

On the other hand I presumed (apparently incorrectly) that the
FEATURES="buildpkg" (which is what I think Neil is speaking about)
gave me the same option but I now guess it doesn't.

If I need to use quickpkg to save the configs then I think I'll do
that being that as I simple-minded home user with no admin experience
I have no in-place rigorous methods for doing __any__ backups. I just
tar up directories once in awhile and deal with the problems that come
later. (If they come...when they come...they do come, don't they?) ;-)

- Mark