On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Alan McKinnon<alan.mckin...@gmail.com>  wrote:
On Friday 12 February 2010 00:13:23 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
One thing I haven't found so far is what to put in make.conf to get
the buildpkg feature to include the configs. It's easy at the command
line. Where's the documentation on how to actually use this the right
way automatically?

- Mark
when you use buildpkg feature the packages contain the virgin unedited
configs  as they are installed by the package and not any edits done by
you.
Just checking something:

We are all aware of the difference between

emerge --buildpkg

and

quickpkg

right/

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
Volker is. I am not sure I am and I'm not sure that Neil was talking

quickpkg --include-configs

says it includes the configs. That's what I thought we (you and I
Alan) were talking about.

On the other hand I presumed (apparently incorrectly) that the
FEATURES="buildpkg" (which is what I think Neil is speaking about)
gave me the same option but I now guess it doesn't.

If I need to use quickpkg to save the configs then I think I'll do
that being that as I simple-minded home user with no admin experience
I have no in-place rigorous methods for doing __any__ backups. I just
tar up directories once in awhile and deal with the problems that come
later. (If they come...when they come...they do come, don't they?) ;-)

- Mark

This is how I understand it. If you use buildpkg with emerge, you get the original configs from the source tarball. If you use quickpkg, then you get the config files YOU created. If I understand this correctly, you can remember it this way as well. Doing it during the emerge gives you what emerge produces. Doing it with quickpkg gives you what you produced.

All that and I didn't confuse myself. So, I'm probably wrong in how I understand it. lol

Dale

:-)  :-)