On Tuesday 09 February 2010 16:31:15 Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
> > There's a few small downsides I've run into with all of this so far:
> >
> > 1) Since we don't use sector 63 it seems that fdisk will still tell
> > you that you can use 63 until you use up all your primary partitions.
> > It used to be easier to put additional partitions on when it gave you
> > the next sector you could use after the one you just added.. Now I'm
> > finding that I need to write things down and figure it out more
> > carefully outside of fdisk.
>
> Replying mostly to myself, WRT the value 63 continuing to show up
> after making the first partition start at 64, in  my case since for
> desktop machines the first partition is general /boot, and as it's
> written and read so seldom, in the future when faced with this problem
> I will likely start /boot at 63 and just ensure that all the other
> partitions - /, /var, /home, etc., start on boundaries divisible by 8.
>
> It will make using fdisk slightly more pleasant.

I noticed while working on two new laptops with gparted that resizing Windows
7 and creating new partitions showed up small blank partitions (marked as
hidden) in between the resized, and/or the new partitions.  If I recall
correctly these were only a few KB each so rather small as such.  I am not
sure why gparted created these - could it be related to the drive
automatically aligning partitions to this 4K sector size that is discussed
here?
--
Regards,
Mick