Hi, Dale,

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 05:27:55PM -0600, Dale wrote:
The shop who sold me the components suggested running memtest86 with
just one RAM stick at a time.  It turns out, one was duff, the other's
just fine.  (It went ~20 minutes on memtest86 without any errors.)  So
it looks like I'll be running on 2Gb only until I get a replacement
for the broken one.

Many thanks to all who helped me track this one down!

Dale

:-)  :-)

There you go.  Most likely one little transistor that went belly up.
Considering there are millions of those little devils on there, no
surprise at all.
Oh, don't be like that!  You're saying, like, another "little" transistor
will soon be going.  ;-)

That's not what I meant at all. Consider the odds. There are millions of little circuits on those chips, even a 0.0001% failure rate can mean the chip is bad. They either all work or the chip doesn't work.

Glad you got it sorted out and that is better than a lot of other
options.  Since it is new, I hope you have a good warranty that will
make it a cheap fix as well.
I bought my PC components from a premium quality shop, the sort that
behaves like a gentleman and honours its guarantees.  Its email support
gets back to you within an hour or so (in business hours).  The
proprietor said I needed to send back _both_ RAM sticks (since they have
a joint serial number), but he's sending me a replacement pair first, so
my machine remains working.

For all that, the cost of this PC was less than half that of its
predecessor, a 1.2 GHz Athlon machine from ~2001.  With desktop PCs now
being so ridiculously cheap anyhow, it seems false economy to buy from a
lesser vendor.

Dale
:-)  :-)

I bought mine from newegg and they stand behind theirs too. Things is, the person you buy them from doesn't decide if it is a bad one or not. It's just a luck of the draw. I doubt there are many companies that want to sell something that is broken. It's not good for business.

If you bought the memory sticks as a set, they do usually want them returned as a set. That's normal. I have seen that many times.

Glad you got something working tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)