On Saturday 13 February 2010 19:43:47 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > There you go.  Most likely one little transistor that went belly up.
> > Considering there are millions of those little devils on there, no
> > surprise at all.
>
> Oh, don't be like that!  You're saying, like, another "little" transistor
> will soon be going.  ;-)

Considering the enormous complexity of modern PC's, I'm always amazed that nay
of the bits and pieces inside them ever work at all

:-)

> > Glad you got it sorted out and that is better than a lot of other
> > options.  Since it is new, I hope you have a good warranty that will
> > make it a cheap fix as well.
>
> I bought my PC components from a premium quality shop, the sort that
> behaves like a gentleman and honours its guarantees.  Its email support
> gets back to you within an hour or so (in business hours).  The
> proprietor said I needed to send back both RAM sticks (since they have
> a joint serial number), but he's sending me a replacement pair first, so
> my machine remains working.

Nice to see that decent responsible vendors still exist out their who do
TheRightThing(tm) for their customers, even the ones with little orders.

I get that level of service from Dell, but I think that's more because we're
ordering 1000+ servers a year all with extended 3-5 year warranty and Next Day
Corporate Service Contract

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com