On 02/27/2010 08:32 PM, Dan Cowsill wrote:
On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:57 PM, ubiquitous1980<nixuser1...@gmail.com>  wrote:
If I have logged in through sudo such as $ sudo su, when I then use man
pages, they are covered in "ESC".  This does not occur when using normal
user accounts or the root account through su.  Wondering what is going
on.  Thanks.

Kind of curious about this myself.  It has just been a minor annoyance
to me for the last couple of years, but it seems to show up only when
logged onto root.

There are several environment variables that affect the output of man,
e.g. PAGER, LESS, LESSCOLOR, LESSOPEN, LESSIGNORE, the contents of
~/.lessfilter and probably other things I can't remember.

Any of those might be different for root.