James wrote:
James<wireless<at>  tampabay.rr.com>  writes:

Maybe some printer wiz will figure out how to just
edit the /etc/cups/printers.conf file directly....

Well, I hate to keep answering my own posts....
surely one of the more astute admins will jump in?
(and keep me from looking.....foolish?)

So continuing to research this I find some new-2-me flags
on gentoo:

<  snip>

Sooooo, my question is has anyone any knowledge of these flags
and  with cups (/etc/cups/ppd/*driver*)

???

James

This is what I have for use FLAGS:

r...@smoker ~ # emerge -pv hplip cups

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] net-print/cups-1.3.11-r1 USE="X acl avahi dbus gnutls java jpeg ldap pam perl png ppds python ssl tiff zeroconf -kerberos -php -samba -slp -static -xinetd" LINGUAS="en -de -es -et -fr -he -id -it -ja -pl -sv -zh_TW" 0 kB [ebuild R ] net-print/hplip-3.9.12-r1 USE="gtk hpcups libnotify parport qt4 -doc -fax -hpijs -minimal -new-hpcups -policykit -scanner -snmp -static-ppds -udev-acl" 0 kB

Total: 2 packages (2 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB

 * IMPORTANT: 1 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news to read news items.

r...@smoker ~ #

I have a HP printer too. I went into cups and looked for your printer, your model is in there. So, if you duplicate my USE flags, you should be able to find your printer in that LOOOOONG list of printers.

I think ppds and hpcups is the key ones. I would at least start with those.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-)  :-)