James schrieb am 18.03.2010 14:37:

> So I cannot find an explicit listing for this new model HP printer:
> "OfficeJet Pro 8500"; so I'm using this driver:
> HP OfficeJet Pro 1150C.

According to http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/index.html
your printer is supported sine hplip 3.9.2, so there should be a driver.

New versions of hplip do not install ppd files for every printer they support
anymore. The ppd file is generated at run time by using hp-setup.

> eix hplip
> * net-print/hplip
>      Available versions:  2.8.6b ~3.9.8-r3 3.9.12-r1 ~3.10.2 {cupsddk dbus doc
> fax gtk +hpcups hpijs libnotify minimal -new-hpcups parport policykit ppds qt4
> scanner snmp static-ppds -udev-acl}

About the hplip use flags

> cupsddk

Not relevant as it has been removed in recent versions of hplip. With newer
versions of cups you wont need cupsddk as it has been integrated into cups.

> hpcups

Is the new printer driver which replaces the hpijs driver.

> hpijs

See above.

> new-hpcups

You don't need it.

> static-ppds

It seems for some printers the new method of creating the ppd file is not
available. So if you have problems with installing your printer by using
hp-setup you should try installing hplip with the static-ppds flag and try
hp-setup again.

> So hplip and cups work together? I thought is was one
> or the other?
>

> You use the hpcups flag and not the new-hpcups flag?

Hplip needs cups!

> I could not help but notice the avahi and zeroconf flags. I do not
> see them. Do I have to install mono-zeroconf and avahi to see those
> flags?
>
> Do you find them useful? What applications are using avahi/zeroconf ?

You don't need avahi or zeroconf for hplip, which does not work for current
versions of hplip due to bugs in cups anyway. This is only needed if you have a
networked printer. You can still detect the printer without the mDNS
(avahi,zeroconf) method through SLP. You should be able to select the detection
method at run time with hp-setup.

--
Daniel Pielmeier