Andy Revkin posted a column today in Dot Earth in the New York Times Science
section, Online. Up Next for Debae: Carbon Costs....

I submitted the following comment

Andy asked, "What kind of energy or climate debate would you like to see,
and what outcome?" I have read 24 comments so far and not one addressed that
issue. Much of the commentary dealt with the reality of global warming
AGAIN.

To some extent Andy blindsided us with, and I am paraphrasing, Do we tend to
the needs of the poor or do we deal with global warming first because if we
don't it will only make it worse for the poor? As if we really do anything
significant for the poor even in the best of times and these are close to
the worst.

The current world financial crisis will make it even more difficult to deal
with global warming if the issue is anthropogenic greenhouse gas. So this
debate is likely to enhance global warming by production of an enormous
amount of hot air. The thesis is unrealistic.

Incredibly, the one solution that is potentially viable and affordable has
not been mentioned and is not likely to be debated. I wonder why! Maybe
because it removes the hot air from the sails of all!

The best solutions for cooling the planet artificially are being debated
quietly by a group of international scientists/engineers, who haven't yet
figured out how to work the support system. Most of them pretty much agree
that there is global warming, that man is the biggest part of the problem,
they worry a lot about melting arctic ice as THE most serious near term
problem, and acidic oceans, and they have conceived of a number of excellent
possible but so far untested solutions. Moreover they worry excessively and
responsibly about the negative consequences of these solutions.

I would like to see a debate on reality. Let us trade on what mankind does
best; solve technical problems. This is a technical problem by virtue of the
fact that the economic component is not affordable, is not definable, could
not be timely, and is fraught with too much uncertainty.

-gene