The term "runaway" has an accepted meaning in the context of "thermal runaway",
and is characterised by positive feedback and resulting acceleration in
temperature change.  So the temperature rises more than linearly, and may even
rise exponentially or "explosively":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_runaway
Eventually the feedback peters out, and the temperature change becomes linear
again.

This process is happening with the Arctic sea ice.  At present the albedo
feedback effect is causing an acceleration in temperature change in the polar
region - but this positive feedback will eventually peter out, when all the ice
and snow in the region has melted, including the Greenland ice sheet!  So we
are facing thermal runaway on a regional scale, affecting local climate and
ecosystem.  This will have a domino effect on methane release.

As the Arctic region warms, methane will invitably be released in larger and
larger quantities.  The speed of methane release depends critically on the
temperature above the frozen structure holding the methane.  For permafrost on
land, if the average surface temperature is maintained above freezing, the
permafrost will inevitably melt.  This is what is happening over vast areas of
Canada and Siberia, as the isotherms (lines of equal temperature on a map) move
northwards.

The methane itself provides feedback equally to both regional and global
warming, through its greenhouse effect.  The regional warming will increase the
rate of methane release.  Thus there could be thermal runaway on a global scale
and "we are toast", as Hansen puts it.

We have to find a way to quickly halt the Arctic regional warming.  I maintain
that the key to this is to halt and partially reverse the retreat of the Arctic
sea ice, by cooling the region.  And I maintain that the key to cooling is use
of solar radiation management (SRM) techniques - a combination of stratospheric
aerosols and marine cloud brightening.

If we do not act quickly with our SRM geoengineering, then thermal runaway from
methane (and also disasterous sea level rise) could become inevitable.

Cheers from Chiswick,

John

P.S.  Note that geoengineering to reduce atmospheric CO2.