Hi Andrew,

It depends what kind of proof you want.  I myself am convinced of things if
there is a logical argument based on established facts.

I am convinced by anthropogenic global warming because if you put an extra 100
ppm CO2 in the atmosphere, you EXPECT to have greenhouse warming.  I don't need
"proof" to be convinced.  To be persuaded otherwise, I would need a convincing
explanation of why the CO2 wasn't causing global warming, or how this was
somehow neutralised.  I would need to be PROVED WRONG.

Similarly with methane runaway feedback.  There's a vast amount of methane
trapped in frozen structures.  Nobody disputes this fact.  If you put enough of
this methane in the atmosphere, you expect global warming.  You then expect
positive feedback as a result of this, as the frozen structures unfreeze to
release more methane until it's all gone.  Unless there is an argument against
this logic, I will remain convinced by it.

Similarly with the Arctic sea ice and domino effects.  The "forcing" from the
sea ice albedo effect is of the order of 30 Watts per square metre, so you
expect this to drive regional warming.  Nobody is suggesting how this warming
would  reverse naturally.   So, as the region continues to warm, you expect the
domino effects of methane release and Greenland ice sheet accelerated discharge.

This is all highly uncomfortable to contemplate, and I'd like to be proved
wrong.  However we do have a possible way out of this situation with
geoengineering.  So all is not lost.

Please can we now persuade politicians and potential funding bodies of the
inescapable logic of this situation, so that they fund the necessary
geoengineering developments?  Or prove me wrong.

Cheers,

John