Dear All,
Dear Professor Ning ZENG
The ideas developed in your paper can be applied right now.

In France we have right now in between 30 to 50 million m3 of wood
lying on the ground!

Two weeks ago Europe experienced one of the worst windstorms of the
last two centuries (named “Klaus”).
Already in December 26-28, 1999, hurricanes “Martin” and “Lothar” were
called “the centennial ones”. That makes 3 “centennial” hurricanes in
less than 10 years! (“Anatol” which occurred on December 1999 in
northern Europe and “Kyrill” in 2007 in central Europe might be
considered “decennial” ones).

Only in France, hurricanes Martin and Lothar put down 170 million m3
of wood, and much more if you take into account the other countries.
The 1999 windstorms covered more than half of France and extended into
Switzerland and Germany. Between them, these windstorms produced over
$14.4 billion in economic damage, approximately $7.8 billion of which
was insured.
At that time, this ranks as the third largest insurance loss ever,
after Hurricane Andrew in 1992 and the 1994 Northridge Earthquake.
Windstorm Lothar alone represents the largest monetary insurance loss
in European history.

As a mater of fact, the economic situation was better in 1999 than
now, but the wood industry was not able to use in buildings or to
convert to energy all the wood available... and most of it 170 million
m3) has been lost (and produced CO2, CH4...).
It will be worst this time, as in 2009 the construction sector is in
crises (specially in Spain) and the stocks are very high and companies
have leveraged, and the financial crises will not help.

So, in my opinion the ideas developed in your paper can be applied
right now and foresters should be allowed to benefit of the CO2 cap-
and-trade systems.
It will be a great opportunity to do research in this topic on a large
geoengineering scale to address all the issues and feedbacks like
methane production and the real sequestration yield and duration.

Regards
Renaud de_RICHTER