De : Andrew Lockley [mailto:andrew.lock...@gmail.com]
Envoyé : mardi 5 mai 2009 11:13
À : Bonnelle Denis
Cc : geoengineering; f.m.maugis; lmich...@vortexengine.ca
Objet : Re: [geo] stopping hurricanes

There are already various hurricane-busting programmes.  Off the top of my
head, these are:

1) Using lasers to discharge lightening in the precursor storms
2) Burning soot in the outer wall to make it absorb heat and cool down
3) Pouring liquuid N2 onto the surface of the sea

Sadly these are not detailed on wikipedia, but you can find a summary at
http://www.cbc.ca/doczone/hurricane.html
Further discussion of whether these may help reduce AGW would be welcome.

2009/5/5 Bonnelle Denis
<dbonne...@ra.ccomptes.fr<mailto:dbonne...@ra.ccomptes.fr>>

Dear Andrew,

First, I think your call for something to be done is not only about stopping
hurricanes (i.e., when they are fully mature - I can't guess any easy way to
achieve this), but also preventing them from developing at once.

This seems more thinkable. Basically, it means cooling the upper layer of the
oceans down, before the beginning of the hurricane season. One method has
already been presented to this group, but I had answered that, by burying the
heat deeper into the sea, it would contribute to ocean dilatation.

If not downwards, one may try to dispose of this heat upwards.

A solution could be derived from that which had been frequently advocated here
by F. Maugis: the atmospheric vortex engine (AVE - also developed by L.
Michaud, from Canada). I have long been a fierce critic of AVE, which, in my
opinion, would be highly unstable as long as a shortcut from high to low
pressures wouldn't be prohibited.

Indeed, prohibiting it provides the solution, which is, finally, as follows:

1 - moist air, coming from the surface of the ocean, rises (first, it is either
drawn, or pushed, upwards - several initializing options are possible) through
a middle-sized (200 to 300 m high) chimney, which also contains wind turbines
and is shaped so that the flow lines look like spirals;

2 - still rising above the chimney, this spiraling air creates some centrifugal
force, so that a region of low pressure develops at its centre, and keeps on
attracting new air from the system's bottom;

3 - moving upwards, i.e. being adiabatically cooled, this moist air reaches the
altitude where its vapor content begins to condensate, which liberates latent
heat; from now on, its temperature will quite stop diminishing, so that this
operating air will soon become warmer than the ambient air, and thus buoyant;

4 - our hypothetical central low pressure is now justified in three respects:
from above (1 in the figure hereunder), it is justified by the condensing moist
air buoyancy; from under (3), it is consistent with the idea that more moist
air has to be attracted so that the system should keep on working (and even
produce renewable energy by drawing the turbines); and from the outer space at
the same altitude (2), it is justified by the cumulative effect of the
centrifugal force;

[cid:image001.png@01C9CD73.833A29D0]

5 - However, there remains a problem along the (4) path: the low pressure at
the chimney exit is jeopardized by the high pressure just before the air goes
through the turbine, and the whole air system can be destabilized by some
Kelvin-Helmholtz instability;

6 - Hence, we must bar this path. The solution is to add a horizontal annulus
around the chimney's top, with radii ranging from R to around 2.5 R. This
annulus can be filled with buoyant gases, and, anyway, it will face much less
winds than if the same material were raised vertically in order to create a
greater "chimney effect";

7 - Indeed, this is our real purpose: using, like in a real hurricane, the
air's centrifugal force, as a material wall which isolates the inner low
pressures from the outer high ones. Thanks to friction, air rotation develops
not only inside the first cylinder (black flow lines in the figure), but also
outside it (grey lines), which enhances the total centrifugal contribution to
the central low pressures. So, we have a virtual chimney effect, which, when
the 1 to 6 stages are completed, will undergo a positive feedback (from energy
budgets, this feedback requires that the annulus radii, as a minimum, range
from R to 2R, that's why I had written previously: "from R to around 2.5 R").

8 - When this positive feedback begins to operate, the structured air motion
can develop, like a natural hurricane, until this "virtual chimney" reaches the
tropopause, which is a real achievement as we had begun with a solid chimney
only 200m - 300m tall, and its annulus which is not much greater.

9 - To prevent real hurricanes to develop, such systems can be located closer
to the equator (where Coriolis's force is too small to provide a natural
hurricane with enough angular momentum, which is not a problem for an AVE, as,
inside, it is shaped so that the flow lines become spirals), and, usefully, in
the regions where very warm waters are ready to move towards hurricane regions
(i.e., off the northern coast of Brazil, where Mexico Gulf hurricanes are being
prepared).

Any comments, especially doubtful ones, are welcomed.

Best,

Denis Bonnelle

denis.bonne...@normalesup.org<mailto:denis.bonne...@normalesup.org>