It seems pretty counter-intuitive to me.
Firstly, flooding deserts to create either lakes or vegetation would
generally reduce albedo (darken), leading to more solar energy being
absorbed, and hence causing temperatures to rise.

Secondly, water vapour is a powerful greenhouse gas, and thus increasing its
concentration in the atmosphere will cause further net forcing.

Thirdly, desert areas predominantly exist in areas of downwelling air.
 Therefore, the creation of large cloud systems with high albedo over these
regions would be unlikely.  This is in contrast to tropical forests, which
create large clouds through evapotranspiration into rising air.

It seems that this approach would not have any immediate climate benefits.
 It may, however, be a good way to cultivate deserts - although I suspect
the maintenance costs, constructions costs and ever-present salinity problem
would make it unattractive.  Look at the Aral sea region as an example of
the difficulties in cultivating in brackish water.